I like my money right where I can see it: hanging in my closet. -- Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

11 June 2011

Good for the Summer Sole-Classic Espadrilles

Every few years the Espadrille comes roaring back into style. For me, like a crisp navy and white striped T, the espadrille with its floppy soft canvas cover and jute and rubber sole has never left my shoe closet. Sure they have been reinvented and redesigned with platforms and straps and heels and...but give me the classic and I have instant summer.
Espadrilles at Casa Hernanz in Madrid

You can find them in France, you can scoop them up by the handful in Spain and Saldarini 1882 in Lake Como Italy is known for one of my bag loves the Espa Bag which is a giant espadrille with rope handles complete with rubber and jute bottom--adore!
Though I love basket filled with solid color espadrilles I can't resist a crisp stripe, cheeky gingham or romantic floral.  I love these from the French site Corz





In Madrid the line goes around the block as summer approaches at Casa Hernanz, at Calle Toledo, 18, where they have been making Castaner espadrilles for 150 years selling over 100,000 pair every year in a jelly bean bag color array..we've been told its the espadrille spot in Spain. Can't make it to Madrid then visit Spain on line via Espadrillesetc


Espadrillesetc. has a fabulous collection of espadrille styles from their classic Carmen  ,featured on a Sports Illustrated cover, and Pilar to styles with adornments, miles of ribbon ties, embroidered embellishment, flirty heels,flats,thongs...and all made with the classic espadrille sole.  Love Calypso

and the embroidered Shahrazade
The French made espadrilles from Espadress include art and graphic styles
 like the Zebra


Asos has a great variety of Espadrille styles and these Boat Espadrilles are a great look for guys
Espadrilles may have begun their life as a peasant's shoe but they have adorned many a famous foot...

...and remain one of my favorite signs that summer is here!
Espadrilles from Chance