I like my money right where I can see it: hanging in my closet. -- Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

16 May 2010

Men Seldom Make Passes....



Men seldom make passes At girls who wear glasses”  Dorothy Parker

Well, we are about to prove Ms. Parker wrong--we hope!

"Suddenly" perched at the edge of my nose, and invariably slipping off, is a new appendage---reading glasses.  These so called "cheaters" seem to have arrived from nowhere and without asking my permission.  It all started innocently enough as I found I had to take faxes to the window to read the numbers--is it a 6 or is it an 8...no wait, I think it's a 5...before I knew it I was squinting and stretching my short little arm beyond its reach to read paperwork, price tags,instructions, recipes and the New York Times...explain to me how our eyes know when are over 40??

Merry Me- Eyebobs

Every 8 seconds someone turns 40. Good to know I am not alone and according to Eyebobs this means "1.5 million people are having birthdays and if they don’t already wear a reader, they soon will be (97% by the time they are 50). "


Rather than look at this as a devastating road sign "You are Now Entering Mid-Life" I have chosen to see it as a fashion opportunity--an excuse for a new accessory!  I have discovered that I need several pair-a couple in the office,  in the bathroom,  by my bed, in the kitchen, in every handbag...a pair for knitting, a pair for reading,  for typing and even for shopping! As the population ages cheaters, or peepers,or  reading glasses are the new jewelry.

 Diva - Eyebobs

So if I am destined to have specs sitting at the end of my nose you better believe I am going to have fun with it!!  To take the sting out of this aging thing I headed to Eyebobs  for fun, style, and wardrobe building.
 Too Naughty- eyebobs

I want styles that match my mood, my day, my style and will express who I am at that moment. I love the styles from Eyebobs , they design and sell "eyewear for irreverent and slightly jaded".

 Stirred -eyebobs

Visit their site for the names alone!  Favorites include-
Do the Limbo, Cher, Checkered Past, Smitten Kitten, Too Naughty,...oooh, what about a lorgnette???



Also check out Peepersspecs - this could be fun!!!


If you need to go the prescription route  be sure to visit Warby Parker (the name inspired by two Jack Kerouac characters)offering vintage inspired frames all under $100 and for every pair of glasses they sell they donate a pair to someone in need of a new pair through their work with Restoringvision.org


 I am choosing to take a positive approach to this signpost of my 40s...unlike lines and gray roots I can actually dress this up!  Maybe look a bit smarter, mysterious, alluring...chic--- and maybe prove Ms. Parker wrong!!